Friday, August 21, 2009

My Lessons on Attaining Happiness


One of my happy moments this year...

I read an article on tips to happiness and it inspired me to share my own lessons/tips from vacations with my family and the happiness it brought. First and foremost EVERYONE needs a break every now and then. So whatever you do please make time for one.

1) If there's no FUN, there's no happiness. Make time for activities AND non activities that everyone in the family can enjoy.

2) "One man's meat is another man's poison". Give everyone the opportunity to indulge "in their own thing". Don't question or criticize, just let them at it. My youngest daughter is compelled to create a cartoon strip EVERY morning. She then passes it around to everyone to read. It doesn't always make sense to me (probably b/c of early morning anxiety) but I read it enthusiastically nonetheless. I am unimpressed by foie gras but love cooked to death southern okra.

3) SLEEP is vital. There's a study that claims that an extra hour of sleep pr night equals a $60,000 sleep. I've got to admit that I do not undersell myself in this dept.

4) Taking a short break from fun to perform mundane or boring tasks can make a person more appreciative of their vacation. One comes out feeling rather enthusiastic and fully engaged. I guess this explains T.V commercials :-). My thing is organizing my calender: an arduous but essential task that I conquer while watching Mad Men.

5) Everyone needs a "Happiness Goal": This is a wish to achieve something or go somewhere. It varies widely. It is also well worth talking about it often to friends or creating a dream book. It keeps us driven and hopeful. All of which make for a well balanced being. The most successful people in life today started of with "wild dreams". While we're at it, do encourage friends and family members who dare dream, their feeling of elevation can be infectious. Mine starts with visiting Thailand...
Do you have any you care to share? It helps me/ others know you better....

No comments:

Post a Comment