Thursday, June 11, 2009

5 FOODS TO AVOID

When I initially started keeping a close eye on what I was eating. I started with avoiding these basics. There are a lot more, but I believe in taking one step at a time.

1) High fructose corn syrup

"We most commonly get this in soft drinks". "It's an inexpensive sugar, which means we're getting a lot of it in our diet." The "process" of making it is complex, leaving hardly any work for your body. It simply "passes" through your body. But wait; it also shuts down the brain's chemical ability to tell your body when it is full! A nightmare if you are trying to maintain or lose weight. I have no real scientific results to prove this besides myself, but when I stopped eating foods containing HFCS, I stopped feeling tired and started sleeping better.

2) Simple Sugars
When you eat sweets, your brain receives schizophrenic messages. It says: I got calories, but I didn't get any nutrients. Your body will keep craving food until it gets those nutrients. Foods with complex carbs tend to have nutrients. It is impossible to eliminate sugar entirely, limiting simple sugars goes a very long way in reducing cravings.

3) "Enriched"
Also watch out for products made with "enriched" flour, like white bread. Why would they take bread and have to enrich it? Because they take all the important vitamins out of it, and they sprinkle just a little bit back in there. What a fraud! There are no shortcuts here cut "enriched" ingredients out entirely.

4) Trans fat
Also known as hydrogenated fat, these are fats that were once in liquid form but have hydrogen added to make them solid at room temperature. It extends the shelf life of the product. Great for business; But it shortens the human life. Cut out any fats that can solidify, your ventricles, atria and arteries find it difficult to purge them from your body :-( A nightmare that causes future heart problems. I tend to stick with Olive & Fish oils.

5) Saturated fats
These fats come from four-legged animals like pigs and cows. Enough said!

I would personally like to know how folks out there feel after cutting these foods out. Let me know...

Search Charleston, SC Properties Online

No comments:

Post a Comment