Thursday, June 4, 2009

CRITTERS!!! Aaaargh!

Oh my goodness!!! The worst thing happened yesterday. My gardeners were cutting my grass and "edging" my lawn, and they found a snake trapped in the plastic mesh i use to surround my raised bed. I put it there to keep deer, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits and others away from eating our food. My home backs on to a protected forest area and it is such an educational treat for my kids and their friends. It also reminds us that we are essentially in their space. As population grows we inch into wildlife space. My husband had to go and cut out a 5 foot snake! What a brave man even my gardeners were terrified and did not want anything to do with it. They suggested we leave it there to die since it was stuck. That would have been inhumane. So i now have to write about critters. After the rains i make a mixture for my spray bottle. I blend habanero (scotch bonnet) peppers, garlic, vinegar and oil. I spray it on my vegetables to keep the critters away. Of course you must remember to wear gloves, sunglasses and a mask. I suspect that because most animals have a much stronger sense of smell than we do, this serves as an effective deterrent.

By the way....
My "gardeners" only cut my grass and edge my lawn: A Home Owners' Association must! I firmly believe that if you live in a neighborhood without stringent restrictions on "grass usage & maintenance", you should utilize every inch of land you have for food and plants. Grass is useless as far as i am concerned. I have heard about people who have fully utilized all their grass space for a vegetable garden and are able to supply local restaurants and even farmer's markets with their yield.
So for the record, my "gardeners" do not tend to my vegetable garden, I do and I LOVE doing it.

Search ALL Charleston, SC Properties Online

No comments:

Post a Comment