Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Rules For Eating

I have had a lot of conversations with various people about my blog. Many have asked me to discuss my eating habits in detail by including recipes and foods to avoid. I have also been cautioned against assuming that the information I give is known by all. I admit this is a mistake I make having sat down to read through it with an American dietitian friend of mine. I have an aversion to sounding condescending but good health is pivotal so I am now willing to tread on that fine line. Forgive me if some things I write about seem condescending.
Right now, I am anxiously awaiting a harvest of some tomatoes, peppers, peas etc. Meanwhile I will recap some "RULES" I have discussed in the past.
  1. Plant a garden. Any garden. Be it in a pot, a box or a patch.
  2. Eat a lot of herbs and spices consistently. They are healthy and they help curb an over- zealous appetite.
  3. Appoint a food engineer in your home AND assign food tasks to EVERYONE.
  4. Cook at least 2 meals per day from scratch: No cans or boxes.
  5. Everyone in the home must cook and eat together no matter what.
  6. Create a compost heap: Put only fruit and vegetable scraps in it.
  7. Minimize beef, pork, chicken, turkey intake. It takes 3 days to digest! Is it worth the hassle? The less, the better.
  8. Eat seasonally; it is cheaper and more environmentally responsible
  9. Buy or grow vegetables in colors: Put them in EVERY recipe even if it does not call for it.
  10. Make ALL snacks (except popcorn) from scratch: This includes cookies, potato chips, cupcakes etc. It tastes better and encourages conscious eating. Unconscious eating causes weight gain.
  11. Consider cutting down dairy. There is a vast variety of foods that will fulfill the calcium loss: This is a dicey topic but here is my reasoning. A lot of us have lactose intolerance. Do you pop antacids like candy? Do you think cows would drink human breast milk ? Essentially this is what we do. I am not personally big on Soy but encourage alternatives like rice milk and coconut milk. I use these in baking, pancakes etc. and the foods taste just fine.
  12. Consider eating organic.... The way your body looks on the outside is a reflection of what is going on inside. Does your body need to treated like a temple? Do you spend more on clothes than you do on food? Should you consider a balance of both?
  13. Have you started REALLY reading the ingredients of the foods you buy? Can your grandmother recognize some of these ingredients? Consider the "grandma" test. If she can recognize it, you are fine, if not reconsider that food item.
My next blog will include a recipe. Please let me know your thoughts on this article.

Search ALL Charleston, SC Properties Online

No comments:

Post a Comment